What’s stranger? Rubbing mud or food on your face?
Because if you’ve been around these parts before (and if you truly belong in The Cool Kids Club) you know that neither is weird. Nope, not at all.
Around here, we know that skincare doesn’t need to be overly complicated to give amazing results.
And it especially doesn’t need to be filled with unhealthy chemicals that only add to our body burden! Seemingly simple ingredients are so much more than meets the eye.
Let’s take a look at a few…
Yes, the very coffee you probably drink every single day! As you know, coffee contains caffeine. But did you know that when applied topically, caffeine can help to increase circulation to the skin? This not only gives skin a healthy-looking rosy glow, but also increases the nutrients being carried to the upper levels of the skin.
Ah, chocolate! Now you may know that cacao is an antioxidant-packed superfood that helps to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals. In fact, there is a TON of proof chocolate IS healthy!
And when applied topically, cacao brings these same benefits to the skin. Now antioxidants are critical for skin health — they not only help prevent premature aging, but also prevent the skin’s sebum from oxidizing and becoming comedogenic (pore-clogging).
OK so mud and clay skin products are more mainstream than coffee and chocolate. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t underrated compared to all of those fancy-in-the-pantsy peptides and ceramides and yada yada yada.
Clays help to draw excess oil and impurities from pores, helping to refine the skin and reduce blemishes. Bentonite clay is especially prized for its ability to attract toxins and impurities and draw them from the skin.
These three powerful ingredients team up for one luxurious mask…
We’ve got protective antioxidants, stimulating caffeine, and clarifying clay. It can even double as a scrub. Yep, it’s a one-stop-shop kind of face mask (and aren’t those just the best!?).
This recipe is being shared (with permission!) from Stephanie Gerber’s amazing book of 100 all-natural DIY skincare recipes, Hello Glow! Such a gorgeous little book with so many amazing recipes.
DIY All-Natural Rich Mocha Mud Mask
NOTE: I have slightly modified the ingredient amounts since I found these are more practical for a one-time application.
- Measure and combine the cocoa powder, bentonite clay, and coffee grounds in a non-metal bowl, and stir together with a non-metal spoon. (Metal interferes with the clay’s skin-detoxing powers, and you wouldn’t want that! Use wood, plastic, or ceramic tools instead.)
- Add just enough water to make a paste.
- Apply the resulting mask to your face and chest with clean hands.
- Relax for about 15 minutes or until you feel the clay harden and dry on your cheeks, then rinse off the mask with warm water. As you rinse, gently massage the coffee grounds into your skin for a little extra exfoliation.
Want more ideas for how you can use these ingredients in your skincare and beauty routine?
Check out these all-natural , super simple DIYs using coffee, cacao, or bentonite clay:
- DIY All-Natural Vanilla Latte Body Scrub
- DIY All-Natural Deep Clean Green Face Mask
- DIY All-Natural Detoxifying Deodorant
- DIY All-Natural Blackhead Busting Blackout Mask