This DIY All-Natural Blackhead Busting Blackout Mask is the perfect natural remedy for blackheads and blemishes! Don’t be fooled by the simple ingredients — activated charcoal and bentonite clay help to keep skin clear by drawing gunk and oil from pores. Let’s take a closer look and get rid of blackheads once and for all…!
Can you see me?
There I am! Just letting this miracle mask sink in and work its magic (and secretly hoping my sweetie will come home soon so I can give him a little scare).
I’ve dubbed this mask the “Blackhead Busting Blackout” mask since 1) its ingredients gently draw gunk from pores and so help eliminate blackheads like no other, and 2) it’s as black as the night sky.
Or should I just say that it’s as black as charcoal (activated charcoal, to be specific), one of its main ingredients? I suppose that would make more sense.
So have you noticed charcoal skincare products popping up left and right recently?
Oh of course you have.
It’s definitely become quite (read: really really) trendy, but for good reason.
First things first, activated charcoal is NOT the same as regular ol’ BBQ charcoal!
Activated charcoal is made specifically for medicinal use and to be very porous.
These pores allow activated charcoal to trap impurities — why it’s used to treat poisonings and intestinal gas (fun fact!).
Activated charcoal is especially helpful when it comes to clogged pores and blackheads.
Because when applied to the skin, it acts like a magnet — drawing dirt, other gunk, and excess oil from your pores.
This Blackhead Busting Blackout Mask has become a cult classic among Body Unburdened readers.
So come, drink the Kool-Aid 😉
Because pair activated charcoal with bentonite clay and WOAH! Major blackhead banishing power couple.
Like activated charcoal, bentonite clay also draws dirt, oil, and other gunk from pores.
And let’s not forget the apple cider vinegar…
… which helps balance the skin’s pH or “acid mantle,” preventing blemish-causing bacteria from growing out of control.
DIY All-Natural Blackhead Busting Blackout Mask
Applying this mask one to two times a week can make a SERIOUS difference in the overall appearance of your skin — texture, pore size, blemishes.
So let’s get to it!
- 1 1/2 tsp bentonite clay
- 2 capsules of activated charcoal (opened and emptied) OR 1/4 tsp activated charcoal powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp water
- Mix* all of the ingredients together into a smooth paste, and spot test the mask on your cheek or underside of your wrist to make sure that you do not have any adverse reactions (always an important step when trying a new product, even if it’s all-natural!).
- Wash your face with a mild cleanser and pat partially dry (so that it is not dripping wet, yet moist).
- Apply the mask evenly avoiding the delicate skin around your eyes and lips, and let sit until dry, about 7-10 minutes.
- As the mask dries, it will start to feel tight on the skin, which can sometimes feel a little itchy. If you start to feel uncomfortable, wash the mask off.
- After the mask dries, wash it off, pat your face gently with a clean towel, and apply an all-natural moisturizer.
That’s it! Easy-peasy as always.
*Be sure to stir this mixture with a plastic or wooden spoon, as both charcoal and clay pull toxins from metals. Also be sure to store your clay in a non-metal container.
TIP: Some readers have noted that after washing the mask off, some activated charcoal remains in their pores. Obviously, we don’t want this! So to avoid this, it’s best to gently exfoliate beforehand — preferably the night before so skin isn’t too irritated or raw before applying the mask. Otherwise, you can gently exfoliate after rinsing the mask off to remove any lingering activated charcoal. Applying a face oil afterwards also helps to loosen the activated charcoal and lift it from the pore (check out these best face oils by skin type).
Not into DIY? No problem!
One of my favorite natural skincare and beauty lines Beautycounter sells a phenomenal mask with similar ingredients + others to keep skin smooth and clear — the Balancing Facial Mask.
And if you’re looking to get more activated charcoal goodness in your skincare routine, you’ll love this charcoal cleansing bar from Beautycounter. It helps to gently clarify skin without stripping it and is one of my favorites.
Are you a natural beauty junkie too!? Well you’re in the right place, my friend!
Hang around a bit and check out some of these other goodies I know your sweet little natural-beauty-loving heart will definitely enjoy!
- My Super Simple All-Natural Skincare & Beauty Routine
- The Best Face Oils by Skin Type
- The Top 10 Essential Oils for Skincare
- DIY All-Natural Clarifying & Toning Foaming Facewash