Can you see me?
There I am! Just letting this miracle mask sink in and work its magic (and secretly hoping my sweetie will come home soon so I can give him a little scare).
I’ve dubbed this mask the “blackhead busting blackout” mask since 1) its ingredients clarify the skin by pulling dirt from pores and thereby helping to eliminate blackheads, and 2) it’s as black as the night sky.
Or should I just say that it’s as black as charcoal (activated charcoal, to be specific), one of its main ingredients? I suppose that would make more sense.
Activated charcoal is similar to common charcoal, but is made specifically for medicinal use and to be very porous (so no, you can’t use regular ol’ BBQing charcoal for this recipe!). These pores allow activated charcoal to trap impurities. For this reason, activated charcoal is used to treat poisonings, intestinal gas, nausea, and bile flow issues (cholestasis) during pregnancy. But activated charcoal also works wonders for the skin when applied topically: it keeps skin clear by acting as a magnet to draw dirt out of pores.
Bentonite clay also acts as a magnet to draw dirt from the pores. High-quality bentonite clay can be ingested to pull toxins from the body. When applied topically, it absorbs toxins, draws out blackheads, and kills acne-causing bacteria. You may recognize this ingredient from my DIY all-natural detoxifying deodorant, which uses bentonite clay to pull toxins from the underarms while keeping you odor-free naturally.
This mask has been one of my favorites for years now, and plays a staring role in my all-natural skincare routine. Coupled with face oils, face masks are one of my absolute essentials to keep my skin clear (I used to suffer from some serious adult acne back in the day). Applying a mask one to two times a week can make a SERIOUS difference in the overall appearance of your skin — texture, pore size, blemishes. And this mask helps to improve them all!
So let’s get to it!
DIY all-natural blackhead busting blackout mask:
- Mix* all of the ingredients together into a smooth paste, and spot test the mask on your cheek or underside of your wrist to make sure that you do not have any adverse reactions (always an important step when trying a new product, even if it’s all-natural!).
- Wash your face with a mild cleanser and pat partially dry (so that it is not dripping wet, yet moist).
- Apply the mask evenly avoiding the delicate skin around your eyes and lips, and let sit until dry, about 7-10 minutes.
- As the mask dries, it will start to feel tight on the skin, which can sometimes feel a little itchy. If you start to feel uncomfortable, wash the mask off.
- After the mask dries, wash it off, pat your face gently with a clean towel, and apply an all-natural moisturizer.
That’s it! Easy-peasy as always.
*Be sure to stir this mixture with a plastic or wooden spoon, as both charcoal and clay pull toxins from metals. Also be sure to store your clay in a non-metal container.
TIP: Some readers have noted that after washing the mask off, some activated charcoal remains in their pores. Obviously, we don’t want this! So to avoid this, it’s best to gently exfoliate beforehand — preferably the night before so skin isn’t too irritated or raw before applying the mask. Otherwise, you can gently exfoliate after rinsing the mask off to remove any lingering activated charcoal. Applying a face oil afterwards also helps to loosen the activated charcoal and lift it from the pore (check out these best face oils by skin type).
Not into DIY? No problem!
One of my favorite natural skincare and beauty lines Beautycounter sells a phenomenal mask with similar ingredients + others to keep skin smooth and clear — the Balancing Facial Mask.
And if you’re looking to get more activated charcoal goodness in your skincare routine, you’ll love this charcoal cleansing bar from Beautycounter. It helps to gently clarify skin without stripping it and is one of my favorites.
Are you a natural beauty junkie too!? Well you’re in the right place, my friend!
Hang around a bit and check out some of these other goodies I know your sweet little natural-beauty-loving heart will definitely enjoy!
- My Super Simple All-Natural Skincare & Beauty Routine
- The Best Face Oils by Skin Type
- The Top 10 Essential Oils for Skincare
- DIY All-Natural Clarifying & Toning Foaming Facewash