Looking for a DIY sugar scrub that smells amazing, leaves skin silky soft, and is incredibly easy to make? This Vanilla Latte Body Scrub is it!
Mmm is there anything better than the smell of coffee in the morning?
I’m not even a coffee drinker but that smell just perks me right on up.
And it turns out coffee may also help perk up your derrière. Well kind of…
Coffee helps decrease the appearance of cellulite when applied topically.
Cellulite and I are old frenemies. We’re friends because it lives on my body and I think the human body is just fascinating and awesome and amazing and something to be respected. But we’re enemies because it’s just flat-out annoying (you feel me or what?). I know I’m not alone in this because a study in the Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy found that nearly 85% of women over the age of 20 have cellulite.
The caffeine in coffee helps to tighten skin and smooth cellulite by increasing circulation to the area. The action of scrubbing also increases circulation and stimulates lymphatic flow, which makes this DIY all-natural vanilla latte body scrub work double duty!
But don’t expect to use this scrub once and instantly see results (if only it were that easy!). Results are seen when applying caffeine (as with this scrub) regularly.
DIY body scrubs are SO simple to make and way better than store-bought.
First of all, a lot of sugars scrubs out there on store shelves are filled with unhealthy ingredients like:
- Parabens — a class of chemicals used to preserve skincare products and prevent mold growth that have been linked to hormones disruption and breast cancer.
- Chemical fragrance — a cocktail combo of any of thousands of chemicals that are allowed to be concealed as “trade secrets.” This means that we’re really not sure what chemicals are being used to scent products. That being said, the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health has stated that 1/3 of the substances used in the fragrance industry are toxic and harmful to human health. Chemical fragrance is also known to trigger allergies, dermatitis, and respiratory issues, and may cause hormone disruption.
- Mineral oil — made from highly refined and processed petroleum, it clogs pores and suffocates the skin without providing any vitamins or antioxidants
Making your own skincare and body care products is a wonderful way to know exactly what’s going in your products and so on your skin. And yes, what we apply to our skin DOES impact our health.
Secondly, ready-made body scrubs usually come with a hefty price tag! As a well-seasoned homemade body scrub maker, I have to giggle at this because I know just how cheap the simple ingredients required to make a FANTASTIC scrub are.
Wondering how to make sugar scrub exactly?
All you really need are 2 ingredients:
- A nourishing oil like avocado, apricot kernel, jojoba, or almond (you can even just use the EVOO from the pantry though it does carry more of a scent than these other oils!)
But you can really pep things up with some coffee grounds and vanilla bean powder, which is exactly what we do in this recipe.
So yes, just 4 simple, natural ingredients will give you an AMAZING homemade sugar scrub!
DIY All-Natural Vanilla Latte Body Scrub
- 1/3 cup ground organic coffee
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 2 tbs mild-scented body oil such as apricot kernel oil, jojoba oil, or grape seed oil
- 1 tbs ground vanilla bean powder
You’ll also need a 8-oz jar (I especially love these mason jars for body scrubs)
Mix everything together and voilà! You have yourself a homemade all-natural vanilla latte body scrub.
For best results, aim to use this scrub 2-3 times a week for multiple weeks.
NOTE: Be sure to avoid getting moisture in your body scrub, which provides the perfect breeding-ground for bacteria. We don’t want that.