This DIY All-Natural Toning & Clarifying Foaming Facewash cleanses and keeps skin clear using just a few simple, natural ingredients! Some — like honey and tea tree oil — are tried-and-true natural remedies for acne and blemishes, making this homemade facewash recipe the perfect addition to your anti-acne and all-natural skincare routine.
Let’s take a closer look…
I made a lot of mistakes in my teens and early twenties…
I ate a lot of heavily-processed “health” food, skipped quite a few classes while nursing hangovers (sorry, Mom and Dad!), and spent a small fortune on harsh, chemical-laden skincare products that only contributed to my breakouts and my body burden. Oh, regrets!
Luckily, now I’m (a little) older and (a lot) wiser.
After struggling with breakouts for years, I finally achieved clear skin after totally overhauling my beauty routine.
(Ok AND my diet — check out my new book all about leveraging nutrition for skin health and to remedy the internal imbalances that trigger common skin issues!)
By simplifying to a few natural and gentle skincare products, I was finally able to get clear skin.
This foaming facial cleanser is an important part of my super-simple all-natural skincare and beauty routine. It includes ingredients that help clarify and tone the skin, as well as ingredients that are extra-gentle and help maintain skin’s natural balance.
DIY All-Natural Toning & Clarifying Foaming Facewash
- 1 cup filtered or previously boiled (now room temp) water
- 1/4 cup liquid castile soap: an all-natural, extremely concentrated soap made from 100% plant oils.
- 5 teaspoons jojoba oil or another facial oil of choice (check out The Best Face Oils By Skin Type for some alternatives)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey: a wonderful antibacterial that helps to gently eliminate breakout-causing bacterial, and also helps calm the skin. This gives the wash its honey color.
- 1 teaspoon tea tree oil: another great, all-natural antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-fungal that will not only keep acne-causing bacteria in check, but also help preserve the wash.
- 15 drops lavender essential oil: great for all skin types, it helps calm inflammation and eliminate bacteria.
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil: another great, all-natural antibacterial.
Note: this is the combination of ingredients that works well for my skin and the combination can be adjusted depending on your skin-type. For example, if you have drier skin, you may need less castile/more water and/or oil. Everybody is different and DIYs can sometimes be a game of trial and error. Luckily, once you have a base such as this one, you can easily add ingredients if necessary!
Add the ingredients in the order listed (if you add the soap before the water, it will become a sudsy explosion!). Stir the mixture gently, mixing everything together. The castile soap and honey will cause the mixture to look cloudy. Put the mixture into your foaming soap dispenser and your facewash is complete!
1 or 2 pumps is all you need as the castile soap is very concentrated. Use once or twice daily (I use it once a day at night).
Discard the contents after a month or if you notice any unfavorable changes. The mixture will separate, so give it a little shake before each use!
Follow with toner and a moisturizer, like Body Unburdened Beauty Blend No.2 for oily and acne-prone skin.
P.S Like my homemade mason jar foaming soap dispenser? Check out how easy it is to make your own!
Are you a natural beauty junkie too!? Welcome and stay awhile, my friend!
Hang around a bit and check out some of these other goodies I know your sweet little natural-beauty-loving heart will definitely enjoy!