Upgrade your morning routine by dropping the sugar-loaded OJ, stepping off the blood sugar rollercoaster, and opting for one of these superfood-packed teas instead.
NOTE: This post is sponsored by Celestial Seasonings, a company I’ve long admired since touring their factory in Colorado (so cool!) and am excited to partner with in celebration of their new Celestial Seasonings TeaWell Organic Daily Wellness Teas. Thank you for supporting the companies that make it possible for me to continue offering content through the Body Unburdened Blog!
Still starting your morning off with a big glass of orange juice?
What if I told you that your morning OJ could be…
- Zapping you of energy and the reason for that second or third cup of coffee!
- Why you feel so “hangry” if your morning meeting runs over on time and into lunch
- Contributing to your breakouts (or really, the hormonal imbalances that underlie them)
- Causing inflammation that makes you look and feel older
- Suppressing your immune system
This is what riding the blood sugar roller coaster looks like.
And that glass of orange juice first thing in the morning? It’s spiking your blood sugar WAY up and setting the roller coaster into motion.
Instead, swap your morning orange juice for one of these teas: matcha green tea, turmeric, or ginger.
Not only will these teas not throw you onto the blood sugar roller coaster, but they’re also jam-packed with so many nutritional goodies. And they taste darn good too!
I’ve been using these teas in my own wellness routine for ages now, but enjoying the brand new TeaWell Organic Daily Wellness Teas most recently. They’re an especially great on-the-go option for busy mornings, when you don’t have time to froth and prep a matcha latte the traditional way, or grind your own turmeric and ginger (um, who has time for that!?). Find them locally HERE and at your local Safeway:
Pro tea-drinker tip: If you want to add just a touch of sweetness to your tea without any added sugar, I suggest using organic, pure stevia leaf powder or extract. Stevia is a plant and has no effect on blood sugar levels. A quality powder will have just 1 ingredient — stevia — while the extract will have 2 — stevia and alcohol.
MATCHA GREEN TEA
If you’ve been around these parts before, you’ll know that I’m a BIG matcha fan and for so many reasons.
Here’s a quick recap:
- Green tea is loaded with anti-aging, disease-fighting antioxidants. And matcha green tea has even more antioxidants than regular ol’ green tea — up to 10 times!
- Studies have found that drinking green tea even protects our skin from damaging UV rays (source)
- Green tea is rich in l-theanine, an amino acid that calms stress and anxiety… and let’s be real: who can’t use a little more stress reduction in their lives!?
- The combo of caffeine and l-theanine in green tea boosts brain function, improving attention, focus, and memory (source)
- Studies have found that drinking green tea can reduce breakouts and acne by up to 50% by helping to balance those hormones that are the primary drivers of acne (source)
- Green tea provides a major metabolism boost and helps burn fat (source)
Most matcha is sold in powdered form, and can take some getting used to.
So if you’re getting started with matcha or looking for a great on-the-go option (and let’s face it: aren’t we all usually pressed for time in the morning!?) try Celestial Seasonings TeaWell organic matcha green tea which comes bagged.
Turmeric is another powerhouse superfood I try to incorporate into my wellness routine as much as possible.
There’s SO much to love about this root spice.
Here’s a quick recap:
- Turmeric acts as a potent antioxidant
- Turmeric reduces inflammation (source)
- Thanks to its antioxidant status, turmeric protects cells from free-radical damage, potentially helping to prevent cancer (source)
- Turmeric improves skin health by calming inflammatory skin conditions like acne, eczema, and dermatitis, and neutralizing age-accelerating free-radical damage (source)
- Turmeric boosts brain health by supporting healthy levels of a hormone called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which is key for long-term cognitive function (source)
- Turmeric protects the heart by reducing inflammation and improving endothelial function (source)
Drinking a turmeric tea is one of the easiest — and tastiest, in my opinion! — ways to do so.
Traditionally, turmeric tea is made by grating the root and steeping it in water. But this can be a time consuming process… and stain your fingers orange! So for the sake of saving time in the morning (and avoiding some funny looks from your coworkers) instead, I give Celestial Seasonings TeaWell organic turmeric tea a try.
Like turmeric, ginger is a root spice with SO many amazing benefits.
Here’s a quick recap:
- Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties (source)
- Ginger has been shown to actually lower blood sugar levels (source)
- Ginger helps speed up the digestive process, which can be beneficial for people with indigestion and related discomfort like bloating, burping, and gas (source)
I especially recommend ginger tea in the morning to those with any digestive issues, which are so common and not something you want to be experiencing while tackling on your daily to-do list!
And since mint is another incredibly beneficial herb for soothing GI distress, TeaWell’s Organic Ginger Mint is the perfect combo option.
How can you get all of these amazing benefits in the yummiest, most convenient way?
Celestial Seasoning’s TeaWell line is a new line of proactive and delicious daily wellness teas that help you take control of your well-being. It uses a blend of herbs and botanicals to support the mind and body.
In addition to the Organic Matcha Green, Organic Ginger Mint, and Organic Turmeric Spice I’ve been enjoying in the mornings, the TeaWell line also includes Organic Honey Lemon and Organic Lemon Chamomile, which sound so comforting and I think would make a great addition to your after-work or evening routine when it’s time to wind down for the day.