Not only do these super yummy Matcha Mint Fat Bombs give your metabolism a much appreciated boost, but they’re also jam-packed with free-radical fighting antioxidants, help keep blood sugar levels balanced, and keep you feeling full!
Let’s be real: whose metabolism couldn’t use a little boost?
Especially when it’s just sooooo darn yummy to do!
No really, these Metabolism-Boosting Matcha Mint Fat Bombs are one of my favorite little treats ever. I literally don’t ever want to be without them. The only problem is that I eat them too quickly so can’t ever seem to keep a steady supply! (True story.)
Why do I love them so matcha? (Hehe couldn’t help myself)
Well besides boosting your metabolism (more on that in just a minute!), these fat bombs also:
- Help keep blood sugar levels steady by providing a good dose of healthy fats
- Keep you feeling full to your next meal (again, thanks to the healthy fats)
- Are loaded with free-radical fighting (i.e. anti-aging) antioxidants
Both matcha and coconut oil are metabolism-boosting superstars.
Coconut oil is is made up of almost entirely medium-chain fatty acids, which are metabolized different differently than the longer chain fats. They’re sent straight to the liver from the digestive tract, where they are either used for energy right away.
Time and again, medium-chain fatty acids have been proven to work wonders for a sluggish metabolism and aid weight loss:
- This study showed that eating medium-chain fatty acids increases metabolism and helps burn off stored fat.
- This study found that consuming 15-30 grams (about 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil) of medium-chain fatty acids per day increased energy expenditure by 5%, totaling about 120 calories per day.
- And this study found that people who ate coconut oil without otherwise “dieting” or reducing calories lost body fat and dropped waist size.
The powerful antioxidant EGCG in green tea has also been shown to boost metabolism and help burn fat. Matcha contains three times the EGCG as regular ol’ green tea, making it three times as powerful!
OK so let’s get to it!
Metabolism Boosting Matcha Mint Fat Bombs
(OK OK so yes, they’re basically my Cravings-Crushing Creamy Coconut Mints with some matcha. BUT I’d say they’re a big-time upgrade!)
- ½ cup organic coconut butter*
- 1 tbs organic coconut oil
- 2 tsp organic peppermint extract
- 1.5 tsp organic matcha powder
- 1-2 teaspoons pure maple syrup** (optional for just a touch of sweetness)
*Not the same as coconut oil — coconut butter (also called coconut manna) is the blended pulp of the coconut
**The healthy fat from the coconut butter will balance the natural sugars in the syrup, preventing the blood sugar spike that we want to avoid
And you’ll also need some sort of mold. I used this food-grade silicone mold.
- Melt the coconut butter and coconut oil using a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, simply set a heat-proof glass measuring cup or bowl in a pot filled with shallow, boiling water.
- After the coconut butter and oil has melted, add the peppermint extract, matcha powder, and maple syrup (if desired). Mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into your mold.
- Set in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Pop your fat bombs out of the molds.
- Enjoy or store in the refrigerator!