This Happy Gut Bean-Free Chili With Bone Broth is as yummy as it is nourishing to the digestive system. Not only is it free from difficult-to-digest beans and includes flavorful bone broth, but it’s also so simple to make!
Note: this post is sponsored by Pacific Foods though all thoughts and opinions are of course my own. Pacific Foods products are a staple in my home, and I’m so excited to partner with such a fantastic company! Thank you for supporting the brands that support Body Unburdened and make the work I do possible.
“Beans beans they’re good for your heart…”
“… the more you eat them the more you ___!”
You know how it goes. I don’t need to (literally) spell it out for you and ruin your appetite.
Because mmm have I got some deliciousness for you right here.
A chili recipe that will leave your tummy as happy as your tastebuds.
So what makes this chili so great for gut health?
It’s made without difficult-to-digest beans
Though a good source of plant-based protein and fiber, beans are really difficult for many people (me included) to digest and leaves them with quite a lot of distress.
And because of their phytic acid content — phytic acid binds to nutrients in food, preventing your body from absorbing them — many choose to forgo beans and other legumes. (Hello to my paleo peeps!)
It includes nourishing bone broth
Bone broth adds an extra layer of flavor to the dish and contains naturally occurring protein that helps make up for the protein found in beans.
As someone who had to overcome some major digestive issues, bone broth is a staple in my diet. I often drink it on its own or flavored with some sea salt and spices, but also look to include it in recipes when I can.
Just like this…
Happy Gut Bean-Free Chili With Bone Broth
- 1 lbs grass-fed ground beef OR turkey
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups Pacific organic chicken bone broth
- 1 3/4 cups (2 7 oz jars) tomato paste
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Optional for garnish and extra yumminess:
- Organic sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Add the ground beef, chopped onion, and minced garlic to a medium-large pot and cook covered over medium heat until for 8-10 minutes, or the beef is no longer pink and the onions translucent.
- Drain any liquid from the cooked meat mixture.
- Add the bone broth, tomato paste, deiced bell peppers, spices, and salt to the pot. Let simmer uncovered over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and continue to let simmer over medium heat for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow sit for 10-15 minutes to cool and thicken. Stir occasionally.
- Top with avocado, fresh cilantro, and sour cream and enjoy!
Have you tried bone broth before?
How do you like to enjoy it? Please share with us in the comments below!