Smooth like butta.
That’s all that was running through my mind as I popped these DIY all-natural lotion bars out of their molds and rubbed them over my skin for the first time.
Because they’re so silky smooth and… well, kind of look like butter.
I’ve been meaning to make lotion bars for so long and am THRILLED I finally got around to it!
What the heck took me so long!?
If you’ve been around these parts before, you know that I love a good DIY. And if you’re a lady/fellow who likewise loves her/himself a good DIY, you know the excitement that comes with a new project — the act of using a successfully completed DIY for the first time is almost spiritual. This project was definitely no exception.
Best yet: these DIY all-natural lotion bars are super simple to make.
And they’d make a darn good little handmade gift (I’m planning to give them out to all of my lady friends this Galentine’s Day!).
DIY All-Natural Lotion Bars
Makes about 10 oz or 8 lotion bars using these “100% Handmade” molds
- ½ cup coconut oil (I used refined coconut oil since it has less scent. But if you prefer a coconuty scent, choose unrefined coconut oil.)
- ½ cup shea butter, cocoa butter, or mango butter
- ½ cup beeswax pastilles or shredded beeswax OR 4 1 oz beeswax bars
- 25 drops essential oils of choice (I used rose, geranium, and ylang ylang for an uplifting, floral combination)
- Using a double boiler (if you don’t have a double boiler, simply place an oven-safe glass measuring cup or bowl in small pot filled with about an inch of boiling water), melt the beeswax.
- After the wax is melted, add your butter of choice.
- After the butter is melted, add the coconut oil.
- After everything is melted, remove from the heat and add the essential oils.
- Give everything a stir and then pour the melted mixture into your molds.
- Let them site undisturbed to harden, which can take up to an hour (pop them in the fridge if you’re feeling impatient!).
To give as a gift, I’d suggest wrapping the lotion bars individually in some parchment paper and sealing it closed with a cute sticker or twine.