Have you ever heard of the “Master Cleanse”?
It involves drinking warm lemon and cayenne pepper water for a few days to promote rapid detoxification and weight loss.
I’m not going to lie: this doesn’t sound like much fun to me! At all.
Not only that, but it’s actually quite a drastic cleanse for most people to undertake. Really only those individuals whose detoxification pathways are already open and well-functioning (i.e. people who are already very healthy) should partake in a cleanse such as the Master Cleanse since the toxins will be released quickly and so must be expelled quickly. Otherwise, you could wind up just repolluting your body!
But that’s not to say this cleanse doesn’t have its merits.
I do a mini Master Cleanse each morning.
Because there’s definitely something to it: lemon and cayenne pepper are great at giving the body’s detoxification systems and metabolism a helping hand.
The vitamin C in lemon transforms toxins into digestible material. Lemons are also packed with antioxidants and electrolytes like potassium, calcium, and magnesium. They stimulate the liver’s natural enzymes, helping to oxygenate the body. To boot, lemons, though acidic, helps neutralize the body’s pH by making it more alkaline. pH imbalance has been attributed to numerous disorders as well as chronic illness. Lemon also stimulates the secretion of gastric juices, aiding the digestion of your breakfast that will follow. Since proper digestion is absolutely critical to a healthy body, this drink is a great way to set the stage for a day of healthy digestion.
Cayenne pepper stimulates the circulatory system by opening the capillaries, aids digestion, and helps regulate blood sugar. Plus it increases the temperature of your body and kick-starts your metabolism. It’s important to note that you should always buy non-irradiated cayenne pepper (and all spices) since irradiation reduces these health benefits.
It’s a super simple addition to your health and wellness routine.
And having a healthy morning routine sets the tone for a health-filled day ahead.
Here’s how to do it:
- After you roll out of bed, warm a pint of water (slightly warmer than body temperature but not hot)
- Juice half a lemon directly in the glass using a wooden citrus reamer, and top it off with a few sprinkles of non-irradiated cayenne pepper (the process of irradiation reduces the nutritional profile and natural medicinal properties of herbs and spices, so we don’t want that!)
- Mix everything together and chug*
- Drink a few more ounces of plain, warm water
- Wait 15-30 minutes before eating breakfast to let the drink work its magic and for the water to pass through your stomach (since eating on a belly full of liquid will impair digestion since the gastric juices are diluted)
*Note: I use a glass drinking straw with this drink to keep the acidic lemon from wearing away my tooth enamel. If you choose to try or adopt this practice, I highly suggest investing in these straws. Unlike plastic straws, they will not leech any harmful chemicals.