Looking to make your own face oil blend or face serum? It’s really so easy! Let’s take a look at the difference between essential oils and carrier oils, which of each are best for your unique skin needs, how to properly dilute essential oils in carrier oils, and how to use your custom face oil blend.
Around here, we’re fanatic for face oils.
It’s not just me. Nope. I’m proud to say that I’ve created a whole tribe of face oil groupies.
(All that’s missing is a secret handshake but trust me, I’m working on it.)
This is thanks to two of Body Unburdened’s most popular posts:
So naturally, I get a lot of questions about how exactly to blend face oils and essential oils.
(Yes, they’re different! Very different. More on this below.)
So I wanted to create a post dedicated to just this — to help clear up any confusion and walk you step by step through how to make a custom face oil blend perfect for your skin.
There are a couple of key points to understand before we get into the details…
Essential oils vs. carrier oils
There is a big difference between a carrier oil and an essential oil.
- Carrier oils are derived from the fatty portion of plants, nuts, and seeds. Think: olive oil, argan oil, jojoba oil, rosehip seed oil. Whenever I say “face oil” I’m referring to carrier oils.
- Essential oils are distilled from the petals, leaves, bark, stem, and even roots of plants. They are volatile, very aromatic, and very potent. They can be thought of as extremely concentrated herbal extracts. Think: lavender essential oil, rose essential oil, tea tree essential oil.
Dilution is key
You must dilute essential oils in carrier oils. They are far too concentrated to be applied straight or undiluted, and can really irritate the skin when not diluted properly.
Opinions on proper essential oil dillution for skincare differ, but everyone generally agrees that the sweet spot is somewhere between 1-4%. That is, essential oils should make up just 1-2% of the final mixture, with the remaining 96-99% of the mixture comprised of carrier oils.
How to Make A Custom Face Oil Blend
Pick your carrier oil(s)
You can choose just one carrier oil or as many as you like! But I think just 1-3 is really all you need.
But remember: not all oils are created equally!
What is the best oil for your face?
The best carrier oils by skin type:
- Best carrier oils for blemish-prone skin:
- Best carrier oils for oily skin:
- Best carrier oils for dry skin:
- Best carrier oils for aging/mature skin:
- Best carrier oils for sensitive/irritated Skin:
For all of the details on these oils and their benefits, visit The Best Face Oils by Skin Type.
Pick your essential oil(s)
As with carrier oils, you can choose just one essential oil or any many as you like! I think 1-5 is all you need.
The best essential oils by skin type:
- The best essential oils for blemish-prone skin:
- The best essential oils for oily skin:
- The best essential oils for dry skin:
- The best essential oils for aging/mature skin:
- The best essential oils for sensitive/irritated skin:
For all of the details on these oils and their benefits, visit The Top 10 Essential Oils for Skincare.
Properly dilute your essential oils in your carrier oils
I prefer 2% dilution — that is, the essential oil(s) will make up just 2% of your final face oil blend and the carrier oil(s) will make up the other 98% of the blend. So since 1 oz is 29 mL and every mL is 20 drops, for every 1 oz of carrier oil you should add no more than 12 drops of essential oils (if also choosing to follow a 2% dillution).
The easiest way to blend your oils is to fill a 1 oz glass dropper bottle (amber or cobalt glass bottles will protect the delicate ingredients) with your carrier oil(s) and then add your essential oils. Screw the top on and give it a little shake. It’s really as simple as that!
Optional: Preserve your face oil blend with vitamin E
Vitamin E oil helps preserve the delicate fatty acids in your carrier oils and prevent them from going rancid.
This particular vitamin E oil that I use should make up no more than 1% of your final blend. So for a 1 oz blend, you would add just 6 drops of the vitamin E oil.
So now you know how to make a custom face oil blend. But are you wondering how to use it?
Face oil blends make wonderful natural moisturizers but can also be used to cleanse skin.
Yes, oil can actually clean skin! Get all the details with The Oil Cleansing Method 101: How to Wash Your Face with Oil.
If using your face oil blend as a moisturizer, simply apply after washing and applying toner and serum, if you do so. Remember: skin hydration and skin moisture are two different things! If your skin seems to be tight, dry, or flaky even when using your face oil blend, a little hydration is likely in order.
Do you have a favorite face oil blend?
Any tips or tricks? Please share with us in the comments below!