Yummy yummy yummy, get in my tummy!
I know, I sound like a 4-year-old. But this chocolate superfood mousse is just that good. So good, in fact, that I’m eating it for breakfast on this fine Saturday morning. I feel naughty and indulgent, like a kid who sneaks a spoonful of ice cream while her mom’s in the bathroom. Of course, I don’t need to feel this way since it’s super-duper nutritious… but it adds to the fun.
Needless to say, this healthy & homemade superfood chocolate mousse is the ultimate guilt-free indulgence.
(makes about 1¾ cups of mousse)
- 2 large ripe avocados: Avocado is jam-packed with healthy fat. 1 avocado also provides around 4 grams of protein and 11 grams of fiver! They are also rich in vitamin K, the B vitamins, vitamin C, and vitamin E.
- 1 cup raw cacao powder: In addition to being an antioxidant powerhouse, raw cacao is an excellent source of essential fatty acids, fiber, iron, copper, zinc, magnesium, calcium and sulfur. Read about the difference between cocoa and cacao.
- ¼ cup (filtered!) water
- 5 tbs raw honey (or more/less depending on sweetness preference): Raw honey is just the best thing in the world (at least in my book). Read about the health benefits of raw honey (there are too many to try to repeat here!).
- 5 tbs ground chia seeds: Ch-ch-ch-chia! A single serving of chia seeds has 18% the RDV of calcium, 27% the RDV for phosphorus —both of which promote bone health — and also 33% RDV of fiber.
- ½ tsp non-irradiated cinnamon: Cinnamon has strong antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. It also helps balance blood sugar levels and reduce blood pressure. Its high manganese content supports strong bones.
Remove the skin and pit of the avocado and mash it up with a fork until smooth. Add the water, cacao powder, and raw honey. Mix all of the ingredients together until a consistent paste (carefully at first so the cacao powder doesn’t fly everywhere!). Finally, add the cinnamon and ground chia seed, and mix everything together. You will notice that the ground chia seed makes the mousse light and fluffy — which is exactly what we’re going for here!
Last but not least: Serve, eat, and enjoy!