No, this is absolutely NOT a post about a cleanse where all you drink is lemon and cayenne pepper water for a week in order to achieve drastic weight loss. Eek, does that thought make me cringe. While I do believe in cleanses, I veer away from the drastic and prefer food cleanses – that’s right, detoxification through foods that naturally detox and cleanse the body – yum!
However, drinking a warm glass of fresh squeezed lemon juice and non-irradiated cayenne pepper water is a practice that I do every morning to help stimulate my body’s detoxification systems on a daily basis.
So what’s the deal exactly?
Every morning, I roll out of bed, fill the tea kettle, put it on a burner at high-heat, and set the kitchen timer to 3 minutes (the time will vary depending on the amount of water in your kettle as well as your stove, but the water should be warm – slightly warmer than body temperature, but not hot). After the timer goes off, I fill a pint glass with the water. Then, using a wooden citrus reamer, I juice half a lemon directly in the glass, and top it off with a thin layer of non-irradiated cayenne pepper across the top. Lastly, I mix everything together and chug. I follow this with about a half glass of plain water, and wait 15-30 minutes before eating breakfast to let the drink work its magic.
[Note: I use a glass drinking straw with this drink to keep the acidic lemon from wearing away my tooth enamel. If you choose to try or adopt this practice, I highly suggest investing in these straws. Unlike plastic and stainless steel straws, they will not leech any harmful chemicals or metals.]
And why do I do this?
This practice stimulates the liver, the body’s primary detoxing organ, and kick-starts the digestive system. Your liver releases uric acid and creates bile to safely eliminate toxins. Keeping your liver and digestive system clean and in tip-top shape helps prevent chronic disease.
Lemon juice and cayenne pepper both have anti-fungal, immune boosting, and detoxifying properties:
- Lemon is a natural detoxifier as vitamin C transforms toxins into digestible material. In addition to vitamin C, lemons are also packed with antioxidants and electrolytes including potassium, calcium and magnesium. Lemon is also known to stimulate the liver’s natural enzymes by helping to oxygenate the body.
- Cayenne pepper stimulates the circulatory system by opening the capillaries, aids digestion, and helps regulate blood sugar. Furthermore, and very importantly, it increases the temperature of your body and kick-starts your metabolism, which, yes, can help you to lose weight over time. Be sure to always buy non-irradiated cayenne pepper (and all spices) since irradiation negates the health benefits of spices.
To boot, lemons, though acidic, and cayenne pepper, though super-spicy, actually help neutralize the body’s pH by making it more alkaline. pH imbalance has been attributed to numerous disorders as well as chronic illness.
This drink is also a great energy booster, and has replaced my morning green tea. When we wake up, our bodies are dehydrated. Rather then drinking coffee, which is a diuretic and further dehydrates the body, warm lemon cayenne pepper water gives our bodies the hydration it needs with the added perks of the lemon and cayenne pepper. It is an all-around super-stimulant.
- Organic Facts, Health benefits of lemon
- Natural News, Start your day with water and lemon
- MindBodyGreen, How to Balance Your pH to Heal Your Body
- Discover Health, Cayenne Pepper: Herbal Remedies
master cleanse, lemon and cayenne pepper cleanse, lemon and cayenne pepper water, lemon and cayenne pepper water weight loss, hot lemon and cayenne pepper water, lemon cleanse, lemon water, health benefits of lemon and cayenne pepper, lemon cayenne pepper diet, cayenne pepper cleanse
Standard FTC disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. However, I only support and endorse products that I use personally and feel would benefit readers. Thank you for supporting Body Unburdened and the work I do to help readers live non-toxic, healthy lives!